The most complicated question on every blogger’s mind is- How to drive traffic to my blog? And the simple answer to this universal question is- to build high-quality backlinks for your website and the easiest and most convenient way to do is by guest blogging.
Guest Blogging is a very effective method of gaining recognition and building the reputation of your website.
Some would say that building backlinks from guest blogging is dead but, the fact is guest posting with low-quality content is dead and it has never been a good method to earn backlinks.
Whereas earning backlinks in return to high-quality SEO-friendly content is and always be the only way to build an authority blog.
This article on How to do Guest Blogging will be very important to understand about basics of guest posting, guest post guidelines, benefits of guest posting in SEO, and much more information that will help to skyrocket your career.
What is Guest Blogging?
Guest Blogging, also known as Guest Posting, is writing an article on another website as a guest blogger and earning a backlink in return for your website that will help drive traffic fro their website to your website.
Now you might have a question
Why Guest Blogging is required when you can write an article for your website?
My dear friends, guest blogging is the technique that is used by the top-notch bloggers to build high-quality backlinks for their websites because they guest post for the high authoritative websites.
When you write an article for another website, and if that website is very popular among the users, then there may be chances that those readers might like in your article and they want to read more of your articles and so they visit your website and hence your website traffic is increased.
Benefits of Guest Blogging in SEO
There are several benefits of Guest Blogging which include:
1. Build Authority for your website
Building authority for your website is the most prominent factor why most of the bloggers prefer Guest Blogging.
Delivering high-quality content as a guest blogger must be the ultimate goal that you must achieve because that brings trust to you as an author.
The more quality and unique content you provide to another website, the higher will be the traffic on that website, the more people will know about you, the more they visit your website which ultimately builds your website’s authority, and the more will be your brand recognition among people.
The more high-quality backlinks you generate for your website, the more domain authority your website gains.
2. Build High-Quality Backlinks
An authoritative blog that accepts your guest post allows you to create a backlink for your website.
The more authoritative the blog you guest blog, the higher the quality of backlink you get, and that backlink helps the search bots of Google to index and rank your page.
3. Targeted Traffic
When you guest post in your niche, you get the advantage of getting targeted organic traffic to your website through a high-quality backlink from the other website.
The more backlink you get from another website, the more webpages of your website rank.
4. Grow Networking
The more you connect with influencers for guest posting, the better networking you create.
You get the benefit to invite the influencers in your niche for an interview which provides benefit to your audience, you can upload that interview in your YouTube channel and embed that video in your blog.
5. Better Branding
The more guest post you do, the more authority your website gains and more people know about your brand.
You get to share the relevant information and share your views about the topic and people are genuinely interested in what you share.
6. Increase Search Engine Rankings
A content ranks for several keywords.
If that blog where you guest post for any of the keyword ranks higher in the search rankings, your blog might get good chances to rank higher with the help of backlink linked to your website.
Purpose of Guest Blogging
Before you begin guest posting, you must identify your purpose of guest blogging.
Your guest blogging efforts and time spent on guest posting might not be fruitful if that blog has less authority, then there might be fewer chances of your website to rank. So, you need to find the real purpose of guest blogging.
Some of the goals of guest blogging include:
- To gain organic traffic for your website
- To build the authority of your website
- To build backlinks for your website
- To develop brand authority and brand awareness
- Improving SEO
- Increase your email subscribers list
As per your goal, you can find the relevant blogs for guest posting. If the blog is itself getting millions of traffic, then guest posting on that blog can give you the benefit of gaining higher organic traffic for your blog.
If your focus on increasing domain authority for your blog, you can guest blog on the website having higher domain authority, also it helps you to build backlinks for your site.
Your goal must be crystal clear and you work according to your plan, then all your hard work in guest blogging pays off well. and your goals can help you determine the best blogs for guest posting.
The next step is to find the best blogs for guest posting.
How To Find the Blogs For Guest Posting
This is a very important and very crucial step to begin guest posting.
Before we begin, remember
- To find sites and their topics similar to your niche.
- Always try to pitch that website that has more or similar domain authority to your website, to get the advantage of the authority of your website.
- To see if they have an engaging audience if their readers are actively commenting.
- To identify their blog social shares are good enough.
I am going to tell you the best ways to find the best blogs for guest posting.
1. Google Search Strings
There is no other search engine like Google that can help you find the best guest blogging opportunities.
To find the guest posting opportunities, you need to enter
- “Your keyword+guest post”.
- “Your keyword+submit a guest post”
- “Your keyword+guest post opportunities”
- “Your keyword+submit content”
- “Your keyword+submit post”
- “Your keyword+accepting guest post”
- “Your keyword+guest post guidelines”
- “Your keyword+looking for a guest post”
- “Your keyword+guest post wanted”
- “Your keyword+accepting guest post”
For example, Your keyword is “Digital Marketing”, so you search in Google as follows
And if you want to search for the latest guest blog for all the above websites, you can narrow down your search options to “last 24 hours, a week ago, a month ago and a year ago” as per your requirement.
All you have to do is to go to the “Settings” option and then click on the “Advanced Search” option and you can search for the “last update” tab.
2. Social Media Profiles
One of the best social media platforms to find guest bloggers is Twitter.
With the help of Twitter, you can find potential guest bloggers.
All you need to do is to search for “Your keyword+guest post”.
3. Look For Prolific Guest Bloggers
You might be knowing the Prolific Guest Bloggers in your industry.
If your field is in online marketing, look for the top online marketers writing guest posts for sites.
Search for the name of online marketer including the “guest post”, this will give you a list of websites that accepts guest posts.
For example, Gregory Ciotti writes guest posts for the online marketing industry.
So you can search for “guest post-Gregory Ciotti” and you will find the following results on Google.
You can send them emails with your introduction and showing your portfolio if you have ever guest blog for any site before.
Else you can request a guest blogger in your industry to pitch those websites on your behalf.
4. Competitor Analysis
There are several tools that can help you spy your competitor websites for which websites they are writing a guest post and earning backlinks.
After you found the potential guest blogging opportunities, the next step is to pitch for guest blogging.
But, before that, you need to prepare to pitch for a guest post
How To Prepare To Pitch a Guest Post
Preparing to pitch for a Guest Post is better than directly contacting for a Guest Post.
You need to spare some time and follow these simple steps to prepare in your best way for a guest post.
1. Analyzing the Blog Content
You need to understand the type of content they would like to post on their website.
Do they like to post list type of content?
Do they like to post detailed content?
Do they like to post case study kind of content?
You can check for popular posts displayed on the sidebar, or you can use a tool like Ahrefs, that lists best-performing blog posts.
You can take help with the amazing tool like BuzzSumo, that displays the trending topics in your niche.
What kind of images, videos, or infographics they would like to include in their content?
In addition, you need to analyze the type of audience they post for.
Do they have an engaging audience of beginners, advanced or intermediate?
2. Analyzing the other guest post on the site
You need to find out the answers to the following questions and other related questions
Do the guest posts are getting a good amount of comments as compared to the blog post by the owner of the site?
Do the guest posts are getting a good amount of social shares as compared to the blog post by the owner of the site?
Every guest post on that blog might not get good commenting from the audience but you need to analyze that a good amount of guest posts are getting good attention by the audience, or all the attention is on the blog owner’s blog posts, else your guest posting on that site will all be a waste of time and effort.
3. Understand the type of guest bloggers on the site
Before you pitch for guest blogging, you need to understand the bio of guest bloggers on the site.
You need to analyze the type of guest bloggers they are accepting to guest blog on their website.
Some of them might be freelancers, bloggers, digital marketing experts, business owners, and other similar professionals.
Spare some time to study the bio of these professionals.
This will help you to understand introduce yourself for guest posting to the blog owner.
4. Actively Commenting on another guest post on the site
Now if you have chosen some of the sites for guest posting, then you can post some valid comments on the sites.
You can share your ideas on the topic and how the blog post helped you understand the topic in a better way.
You can email the site owner about a blog, or an article that has really helped you, so you can thank him by sending an email, a week, or two weeks before you pitch for guest blogging on their site.
This will help the blog owner to recognize you and there may be better chances of accepting your guest post pitch if they know you in advance.
You can spare some time like a week or two and actively commenting on the blog post articles.
You can share some of their blog post articles on social media profiles.
This will help the blog owners to know you better.
5. Look for the best time to pitch for Guest Blogging
There are several indications that might help you in finding out the best time to pitch for guest posts.
- When the blog mentions your site or brand on their blog then you can pitch.
- When the blog owner specifically advertises that they are looking for guest bloggers then you can pitch.
- When the blog owner mentions your products on their site or any of their blog post, then you can pitch.
- When you find a new guest post on that site, then you can pitch.
6. Read the Site’s Guest Post Guidelines Carefully
This is a very important step to prepare before you actually pitch the site owner for guest blogging.
Some sites have specific requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to make your guest post accepted by them.
If you have prepared an article of 3000+ words, and they have a word count limit, then all your efforts would be wasted.
Some bloggers are specific to posting the only high-quality articles.
You must remember that your topic must be unique and avoid submitting already published articles.
Now it’s time for sending the pitch.
Sending Your Pitch For Guest Post
Points to remember for sending the pitch
- Always start your email with “Hi [Name]“, and not with “Hello Sir or Madam, Dear Webmaster, or only Hi.
- Start your email body with something specific about their website, that you are a long time reader of their articles, and what posts of their site helped you learn something new.
- Be specific, to the point, and try to end your email with less than 150 words.
- Tell them that you did research on their articles and give them 3 topics to choose from for your guest post on their site.
- Request them to check your latest published guest post articles on various websites for providing them an idea of your experience and your published work.
Here is a sample guest post pitch email that might help you
Subject: Guest Post for [the site]
Just wanted to say that I am a big fan of your [site] and I am a long time reader of your articles. You might have noticed my comment on [Article].
I am reaching out to contribute a guest post on [site].
I did intense research on the topics that might help to give a ton of value to your readers.
Some of the topics I choose
I know it is very essential to provide a huge value to your readers. You can check some of my guest post articles published on [Website] and [Website].
Please let me know how that sounds.
Finally, it’s time to write the guest post.
Writing the Guest Post
The most important points to remember to write an awesome guest post
- Make sure you write a blog post similar to the ones on their website that are most liked by their readers. To find out, look for the best-commented posts and higher social shares. The higher the number, the better the post.
- Read the guest post guidelines once again to look for any changes made recently and if they are open to accepting guest posts. You can find out by searching the latest published guest post on their site.
- You can check their blog post writing style. You don’t need to copy them but you can write a similar type of content like lists posts, case study posts, how-to posts, etc.
- Write an awesome headline for your guest post. No matter how detailed and informative you write your content, CTR increases if your headline is catchy and tempting to the readers.
- Be cautious in adding images to your guest posts. Remember to add images that are royalty-free and the site owner might not get into any trouble in publishing your content on their website. Include a decent amount of screenshots, images, infographics, and videos for a better understanding of the topic.
- Remember to add internal links to your guest post. Internal Linking is a great tactic to boost SEO. Make sure to internal link to the site’s other blog posts in your guest post.
- Include Call to Action for comments at the end of your awesome guest post. The more you keep engaging your audience in your post, the better.
After you successfully wrote your guest post and send it to the site owner through email.
There are minimal chances that they open your email and take the effort to read it.
The top bloggers have less time to read and respond to every email sent to them.
If they have read your email and replied to you, you got lucky.
If you haven’t found your guest post published, you can send them a follow-up email once a week and ask them if they have decided to publish your guest post.
The more casual and short emails you send to them, the higher the chances that they read and respond to you. Keep trying until you get a yes/no response.
Promote Your Guest Post
After they published your guest post, your work isn’t over.
You need to help the publisher to promote the guest post if you want to build good relations with the publisher.
There are several ways that you can use to promote your guest post. These include:
Sharing the post on Social Media
Sharing your guest post on social media just takes a minute, but it works like crazy in terms of traffic and engagement.
You can share your post with your Facebook group where you have a huge audience who cares about your submissions, and they would love to give genuine feedback if any changes to be made in your post.
You can share your post in your Linkedin group if you have a good followers base there.
You can also share your post to your Twitter account.
Share Your Post to Your Email Subscribers
Your email subscribers can give your post instant traffic.
You can use a tool like MailChimp for email marketing to manage your email subscribers, design your newsletters, and schedule your emails.
You can take the help of high-quality backlinks from an authoritative website to promote your post.
Link building is a great way to give an initial boost of traffic to your guest post.
You can link to the guest post through link building and you can also drive traffic to your website.
Respond To Comments
Responding to comments is an awesome way to engage with your audience and solving their queries related to your post.
You get the benefit of getting amazing ideas from the comments that you can apply and improve your post.
Online Marketers like Neil Patel believes in this concept that I have seen him replying to the maximum comments on the posts of his website.
This article of Neil Patel has 1752 comments till now and you won’t believe if you won’t check out that he replied to every single comment of his post just because he knows the importance of replying to comments and engaging with the audience.
Your comment must not be like only “thanks” for every comment, it should be such that people want to ask more from you and you get more engagement in your guest post.
Try to provide value with your reply to the comments of your audience.
Track Your Progress
Without tracking the results, how can you know the performance of your guest post?
For each guest post, you can track and monitor the progress of your posts.
You can create a list of all the websites with the links and the KPI(Key Performance Indicator) to track your progress and if those guest posts have helped you achieve your goals.
You can check for:
- Number of comments
- The number of new visitors
- Amount of organic and referral traffic
- Number of social shares
Measuring the above parameters can give you an understanding of which sites you should attempt the guest posting in the future and which sites you should avoid for guest blogging.
Your Author Bio
Don’t forget to update your author bio from time to time.
Believe it or not!
Your author’s bio is the most important part of your guest blogging.
Tips to write your author bio:
- Upload your photo in your author’s bio.
- You can include a link back to your website in your bio.
- Keep the bio under 50 words.
- You can write about your credentials and how can you help the reader.
- You can provide a link to your social media profile.
Conclusion on Guest Blogging
I hope you understood the whole process of Guest Blogging from the benefits and purpose of Guest Blogging to finding the blogs, preparing and sending your pitch, and finally writing and promoting your guest post.
Not only you guest post on other blogs, but you can also invite some bloggers to do a guest post on your blog too.
In this way, you can manage to add new content on your website and drive more traffic to your website.
If this article has helped you in some way, feel free to leave your comments in the comment section and I will try my best to answer all your queries.
Hi, I’m Rashpreet Singh Bagga, Founder of Online Rupaya. I’m a passionate blogger and an aspiring YouTuber. This blog will help you in earning your first dollar online providing useful information regarding blogging, and SEO.