If you are looking for an easy, a step by step guide on How to Start a Blog for Beginners, then you’ve come to the right place. I would guarantee if you follow me and start your own blog in parallel, it would be a life-changing moment for you because Starting a Blog and Making Money from it would be the thing you would never regret in the future.
If you have taken a decision to start your blog, then you must have to know the important points necessary for a beginner when starting a blog, which might motivate you to start your first blog today.
- You can build up a brand, an identity in the form of a website which you can manage and grow in the future
- Starting your own blog can make an avid reader since you have a write a lot so you have to read a lot, which ultimately will increase your knowledge, your writing skills, and much more.
- The most important reason why you should start your blog is to earn money. Believe me, top bloggers are earning up to $500k and more per month only from blogging, income sources might be many which I am going to tell you in this article later on but they have started their journey from How to Start a Blog for Beginners article they might have read a decade earlier from an anonymous author.
- Starting a Blog is a good source of providing you a Passive Income, which requires hard work at the beginning but you can enjoy the pleasure for the entire life, only if you have selected a perfect niche for yourself.
Without taking much of your time, let’s begin this tutorial on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
A blog is a platform where you share your knowledge in the form of content you publish on the internet. This blog can help you earn money in many ways like from Google Adsense, Affiliate Marketing, E-books, Online Courses, and many more which I will cover later on in this article.
Let’s begin with finding a niche, the first step of Starting a Blog for Beginners.
Find a profitable niche which interests you
What is a Niche?
Niche is a specific topic in which you are an expert(and in which your friends call you good at) in which you can blog easily.
Some bloggers would suggest you start your blog in a niche that interests you. But there is an important scenario you must understand that a niche doesn’t make you rich, but a profitable niche can surely make you rich.
This means that always try to find a niche
- which is a hot topic on the internet
- about which is searched more and more by users
- which is more profitable, means you can do business with(a product which can be sold)
- which interests you for sure, and
- in which you can think of writing more and more posts(about 10-15 posts a month or even more if you can)
Are you still troubling to find a niche?
Let me help you with these simple steps which helped me find the perfect niche for myself
- Take a notebook and make two columns
- In the first column, write down all the topics that interest you
- In the second column, write down all the topics in which you can think of writing a good number of blogs
- Now jot down the common topics from both the columns
- From those topics, find out on the internet about all the topics if they are profitable topics
- Find out if these topics can be converted into business
I am sure you will that one niche which can change your life. So, take a good time finding out a perfect niche because this can help you in Starting a Successful Blog and Make Money for you.
I am sure you have selected your niche.
Let’s move on with choosing the best blogging platform, the second step on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
Choose a Blogging Platform
Let’s move on to find the best blogging platform.
Earlier when I explained to you about publishing content on the internet, you might have a question.
How can you publish content on the internet?
Check out these bullet points for the Blogger platform
- There is a free blogging platform called Blogger hosted by Google, generally accessed from a subdomain of blogspot.com, which can be lengthy to remember for you and your users.
- Also in Blogger, there is a limitation for you to design and monetize your blog.
- Although Blogger has may pros like simplicity, speed, and security.
- Blogger is owned by Google, so there can be a danger of deleting your content or even your blog.
So if you have a blog that is prepared by you with much grit, research, and hard work, you will not want your blog to be deleted. I would not suggest you to start blogging in a platform where you invest your time and energy that you don’t have control over when your main focus is to make money.
So I would not recommend you Blogger, and other websites like Wix, Tumblr, etc.
The only blogging platform I would recommend you is WordPress, which I am also using.
Although it is a paid platform since I would recommend you WordPress if you want to Start a Successful Blog and Make Money.
Before starting a blog in WordPress, you must think of a blog name.
Let’s move on with choosing the relevant blog name, the third step on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
Choose a Blog Name
If you find trouble in finding a blog name, the following points can help you find one
- Look for a blog name that is catchy.
- You can use a Blog Name Generator, you can enter your interest and they will help you find some relevant blog names related to your interest.
- Look for competitors’ blog names in your niche.
- You can play with words to find a perfect blog name for your website.
- You can utilize books to help you find one.
- You can use the abbreviation of the words related to your niche.
- You can use your name too.
So, I am sure that you come up with a blog name.
Let’s move on with choosing a good domain extension, the fourth step on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
How to Buy a Domain and Hosting for a Blog
You can use any of the domain extensions like .com, .net, .org, etc.
You buy a domain from various websites like GoDaddy, NameCheap.
You can separately buy a domain from a website and hosting from another website. There are many hosting providers that also provide a free domain for a year like Bluehost.
Several hosting providers are HostGator, Hostinger, SiteGround, A2 Hosting.
In this article, I am going to explain to you about buying a domain name from GoDaddy since my website OnlineRupaya.com is what I bought from GoDaddy.
Below is the step by step guide to buying a domain from GoDaddy
- Create an Account with GoDaddy
- You just have to fill your e-mail id and feed username and password.
- Log in and go to GoDaddy Home Page
- Search for your domain name, if it is available at what price.
- Then add to cart
- Complete the billing process
(Note: You can buy a domain and host from other websites also. I choose GoDaddy and SiteGround because my website is bought from these platforms)
Now let’s move on to buying hosting from SiteGround.
- Login with SiteGround website
- Choose Reliable Web Hosting since you are just a beginner to Start a Successful Blog. Click Get Started.
- Choose Startup Plan.
- You will find the “Please Enter Your Domain” section, so enter your domain name which you have purchased from the GoDaddy platform.
- Complete billing process.
- Then SiteGround will ask to log in, so login with your email id and password.
- Then click on “Setup Site”.
- Select “Start New Website”.
- Then install WordPress.
- Log in to WordPress.
- Then you will find two DNS(Domain Name Server).
- Copy the first DNS, go to GoDaddy “Manage DNS”.
- Then click Nameserver “Change”
- Then click on “Enter my own nameserver(advanced).
- Paste the first DNS that you copied.
- Similarly, paste the second nameserver. Then “Save”.
Let’s move on with setting up a WordPress Blog, the fifth step on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
Setup of WordPress Blog
Now you can set up your WordPress blog.
Go to Google search bar, type this “your domain name/wp-admin”
For example, if I open my website on WordPress I will write “onlinerupaya.com/wp-admin”.
Now you can apply the theme to your website for free from WordPress.
Apply Theme on your WordPress Blog
- Go to Appearances
- Select “Themes” option
- Search for any theme, for example, “Generate Press”.
- Click on “Install”, then “Activate”
Go to “Settings” Tab, give “Site Title” and “Tagline”. Save changes.
Again go to the “Settings” tab, then “Permalinks”, select “Post Name”. Save Changes.
Now you can install plugins.
What are Plugins?
Plugins are small Softwares that are being installed in WordPress for various functions. Every plugin has a unique feature. Some plugins are free and some are paid. Since you are a beginner, I would recommend you to go for a free version.
Plugins are used for its varied functionalities like security from spammers, some used for SEO(Search Engine Optimisation), some may protect you from cyber-attacks and website hackers. Now you know that installing these plugin will be the first step in your WordPress blog.
Since there are thousands of plugins.
How you choose which plugin to use and which not?
This you will learn as you keep moving on with your How to Start a Blog for Beginners article.
For now, I can help you with finding an answer to this question, because I can share with you the plugins I installed in my WordPress blog.
(Note: You can install the same plugins that I installed or you can select them on your choice).
Installation of Plugins
Click the Plugins tab in the WordPress dashboard Left Toolbar section and Click on “Add New” as shown in the image below
You will find several plugins, search for plugins listed below, install and activate them.
Here is a list of plugins that I use in my website OnlineRuapaya.com
AMP for WordPress
AMP stands for Accelerated Mobile Pages. This plugin is required if you want your website to load quickly on a mobile platform. This plugin is free to install so you can install and activate it on your WordPress Blog.
Broken Link Checker
This plugin monitor for any broken link in your blog and let you know if they are found.
It has many other functions such as:
- It monitors links in your posts, pages, and comments.
- Detects the links that don’t work, missing images, and redirects.
- Links can be directly edited from the plugins page, without updating every post manually.
- It notifies you through Dashboard or by email.
This is an official plugin by WordPress. This plugin restores the previous edited WordPress blog. It allows the user to choose which editor to use for each post and the administrator can allow the user to change their default editor.
Contact Form 7
This is one of the oldest and the most popular WordPress contact form plugins. It can help you to create and manage multiple contact forms.
Easy Table of Contents
This plugin automatically generates the table of contents in your posts by parsing its contents for headers. This is a very user-friendly and easy-to-use plugin.
Rank Math SEO
This SEO plugin can help you to get access to the SEO tools to improve SEO for your website, which can ultimately increase traffic to your website.
(Note: There is another SEO plugin “Yoast SEO” which also you can use, instead of Rank Math)
Although I some more plugins but the above plugins are most important if you want to create good content.
Remember “Content is King”.
Bravo!! You just completed the main thesis on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
Now, let’s move on with the most crucial part of this article, i.e. to make money from your blog.
The sixth and final step on How to Start a Blog for Beginners.
How to make money from a Blog
There are several ways to make money from a blog which you will discover as you go further in blogging career.
Some of them are highlighted below
Google Adsense is the most popular source of making money from a website. This is how it works. Google display targeted ads on your page that are either relevant to your website or users’ previous searches. As the visitors click on those ads, you will be paid by Google on CPC(Cost-Per-Click) basis.
It provides a good opportunity for webmasters and site owners to monetize their traffic.
There are some conditions that you have to fulfill if you want Google Adsense approval. These are
- You must complete 10 posts each of min. 1000 words
- You must have a responsive theme
Now, let’s talk about the important factors which can affect your Adsense earnings
- CTR (Click Through Rates)
- CPM (Cost Per Click)
- eCPM (Effective Cost Per Mille)
- Page RPM (Revenue Per Mille)
- Keywords Selection
- Ad type
- Placing and Positioning of Ads
- Website Traffic Location
The majority of bloggers make money only from Affiliate Marketing and they a making a lot of money we can’t even think of. You can make passive income (which we discussed earlier in this article) from affiliate marketing.
What is affiliate marketing?
Suppose of an advertiser and a buyer. The advertiser wants to sell a product, we suppose a pen. So, the advertiser has to find the perfect buyer in this world, which is very difficult for him to find easily. So, he created an affiliate link on his website and you want to do affiliate marketing. You will use that link and refer to someone you know he is interested in buying. If that buyer buys that product from that affiliate link referred by you, you earn a small amount of commission from that advertiser. This is Affiliate Marketing.
This is what Amazon does. Amazon has a list of products for affiliate marketing and the advertising commission varies from product to product.
Another company that offers affiliate products is “CJ Affiliate“.
Being a blogger, there are several ways you can make money from affiliate marketing.
- You can write content about a product in your blog and provide affiliate links to buy that product in your blog.
- You can write a blog about the best sellers with affiliate links.
- Writing reviews of any product with affiliate links.
- You can promote special offers on your blog with affiliate links.
What is an E-Book?
An E-Book is an electronic version of a traditional printed book that can be read on a computer. An E-Book has pages, page numbers, and covers, the only difference is that rather going through traditional printing and publishing process, it is sold online.
Selling eBooks are the major source of earning passive income. You write an eBook just once, promote that book on a blog, or a website, and make money for a lifetime.
If you are a blogger, you can easily compile all the relevant posts as per the title of your eBook, converting it into an eBook and you can sell them to your readers. You can sell your books in Instamojo, Amazon, etc. This is how easy the making of an eBook.
Selling Online Courses
Similarly, you can check your ten most popular posts and if any of those can be turned into an online course.
Being a blogger, you have several advantages that you can make an online course easily because
- You already have created content in the form of blog posts.
- You have an audience.
- You can promote your online course easily, by just adding a sales page in your blog.
Selling an online course can also give you a passive income. Just create once and sell it over and over again.
Conclusion on How to Start a Blog for Beginners
I am sure you have understood everything about starting a blog from the beginning. You might have some doubts or any query on any topic that I covered in my article, you can ask your query below in the comments section. I will try my best to help you out and answer all your queries as soon as possible.
It is not that easy to Start a Blog for a Beginner. The first step in finding a niche is the most important step for any beginner which can take a lot of time for you, but its worth to take time in finding a niche because if you selected a wrong niche, after working for months and if you don’t get any result, you will not be interested to continue blogging.
Due to this reason, many bloggers fail to continue blogging. I am not demotivating you but this is important to share with you so I am telling you the truth.
It took me a full week to find the perfect niche for me.
We have to learn from the failure stories and try to improve that thing in us due to which they failed. This is the real mantra to get success.
What is your niche to start blogging?
When are you going to start your own blog?
What are the challenges you are facing if you have already started your own blog?
Please share with me the answers to my questions. I will be glad to share with you my experience in my upcoming posts which might help you further grow in blogging career.
Hi, I’m Rashpreet Singh Bagga, Founder of Online Rupaya. I’m a passionate blogger and an aspiring YouTuber. This blog will help you in earning your first dollar online providing useful information regarding blogging, and SEO.