Do you want to drive more and more traffic to your website?
Well, every newbie blogger wants to increase website traffic for free, when they start their new blog.
What are the ways that can help you increase traffic to your website?
Getting traffic is not an easy task.
But driving traffic to your website is as important as writing high-quality SEO-friendly content for your blog.
And you should not rely only on SEO.
Why do we need more website traffic?
- It indicates the growth of a website.
- It indicates how well our strategies are working and if there is no growth, it’s time to change some strategies to ensure there is growth in traffic on our website.
- Driving traffic to your website helps in getting more leads, more conversions, and more opportunities to earn money.
- Growth in traffic improves the search engine ranking of your website which in turn, drives more traffic to our website.
In this guide, I will explain to you 21 Effective Strategies to increase website traffic that may help you in getting your first few visitors to your brand-new website.
Using all these techniques cannot help you in getting instant website traffic, but somehow if you can work smartly and apply these strategies for a longer period, it can surely help your website to boost some initial traffic.
So let’s get started with the strategies.
How To Increase Traffic To Your Website
1. Do proper Keyword Research before writing high-quality content
You have heard about writing content on low competition keywords ranks higher on SERP.
This is absolutely true.
Keyword Research is the first and foremost step you must take before writing content on your blog.
Read this article: How To Do Keyword Research for SEO: BEST [14 FREE AND 3 PAID] TOOLS
We should give half of our time to keyword research and half of the time to writing high-quality content.
For example, if we have an aim of publishing an article weekly, then we have to focus on finding low competition and high volume keywords for our new blog post so that in less time, our blog post gets ranked higher in the SERP and we get more and more traffic on our website.
In addition, you have to keep posting more and more content on your website, it also helps you in driving more and more traffic on your website.
There are several tools which you can use to do proper keyword research for your blog post, out of which some of the most important includes:
Following points must be kept in mind to do proper keyword research:
- Use long-tail keywords instead of short-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords are used for finding a specific answer on any topic. (For example, try to use “keyword research for SEO” instead of “keyword research”).
- You can do some competitor’s analysis and find out their top ranking keywords and keywords on their top-ranking articles on top 10 of search engine results and try to write an amazing article using those keywords better than the already high ranked articles.
- Write content on searchable, trending, and viral topics so that your article gets a higher ranking on search results, and you will be able to generate more organic traffic to your website.
2. Writing Guest Posts
Writing an article for another website and getting a backlink in return is the best way to drive potential traffic from the authority website.
It is recommended to write guest posts and getting a backlink for similar domain authority or more authority websites in comparison to your website domain authority.
But getting approved for guest posting is not as easy as we can think of.
Many of the websites don’t approve or charge a good amount of money for providing a backlink for your website because your website DA is less than theirs.
How to get approved for guest posting?
- The first step is to find sites that can accept your guest post request. You can search on Google “your keyword + write for us”, “your keyword + guest post opportunities”, “your keyword + guest post”, etc.
- In the second step, you can select sites for which writing guest posts is more worthy. You can select that site from your niche, post only high-quality content, which can bring you targeted traffic in your niche, etc.
- The third step is to pitch them for guest posting. Try to write a short and specific email template and describe your experiences and the reason why should they choose you to write a guest post for them. You can give them a link to a guest post that you recently published.
- If they accept your request, you can write a nice guest post on their site, and you should remember to actively respond to the comments on that guest blog post.
3. Use eye-catching blog post headlines
Blog post headlines play a very important role in getting high CTR and higher search engine rankings.
Check out this article where I have explained “Top 15 Free Headline Analyzer and Blog Title Generator Tools“.
What does a good blog post headline must contain?
A good blog post headline must have
- A focus keyword means that keyword on which your full article is based. If your article is about “keyword research”, then the word keyword research must be in your title. This is an On-Page SEO tactic.
- Your title must contain a power word. For example, “Ultimate”, “Comprehensive”, “Actionable”, “Proven”, “Top”, “Best”, “Free”, etc. These kinds of words catch the eye of a reader and improve the CTR.
- Your title must contain a number. For example, you can add the year number like “2020”, or you can add “3 ways to do”, “6 Easy Step-by-Step”, “20 Important Factors”, etc.
- Your blog post headline must have easy readability, easy title to read factor.
- Your title must be easy to understand for the user to know what the article is all about.
4. Do proper On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO
Do you know the Differences Between On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO? If not, you can read this article.
We already know that SEO defines the optimization technique that drives organic traffic from the search engine to the website.
On-Page SEO is the optimization technique we do on our website to increase website traffic, to improve CTR, search engine rankings, and higher quality of our webpage.
How On-Page SEO increase website traffic?
The most amazing thing about On-Page SEO is that we acquire full control of our website, so we can optimize our webpage in several ways to drive traffic on our website.
There are various On-Page SEO ranking factors which involve:
- Keywords– Use your primary keyword in H1, H2, H3, and so on headings tags can help your site in improving the search engine rankings. Use long-tail keywords to acquire the targeted traffic from the search engine.
- Title Tags– Using the target keyword in your title tags can improve the CTR and hence improves the search engine rankings. Remember that your title must be unique, and descriptive. Limit the title up to 55-60 characters and avoid keyword stuffing.
- Meta Description– Include the target keyword in the meta description for the best results. This improves the On-Page SEO of your webpage and hence increase website traffic. Try to limit the meta description up to 160 characters and your meta description must contain your target keyword.
- URL Structure– Including the Keyword and length of the URL are the most important factors for a good URL structure. Remember to include the target keyword, exclude the stop words, and using hyphens instead of underscores creates a better URL structure.
- Alt Text for Images– Alt Text stands for Alternate Text, i.e. a name given to the images included in the blog post. It is important to note to include the focus keyword in your Alt Text. It helps Google to rank images containing alt text.
- Internal Linking– Internal Linking means linking other relevant blog post links in a new blog post. This helps the user to navigate through various blog posts and understanding the topic in detail. This also helps the search engine to rank other blog posts while crawling, indexing all the linked blog posts, hence improving the rankings in the search engine.
Off-Page SEO is the optimization technique performed outside the website to improve search rankings.
In other words, it is an indirect method of increasing website traffic through various Off-Page SEO ranking factors.
How Off-Page SEO helps in increasing website traffic?
Let’s see the Off-Page SEO ranking factors:
- Backlinks– Backlink is when a web page from another website provides a link to your web page. The quality of a backlink depends upon how an authoritative website provides a backlink. If that authority website has a good amount of traffic then that traffic can be driven to your website through backlinks. One of the popular ways to create a backlink for your website is Guest Posting for other websites.
- Brand Mentions and Implied Link– Brank Mentions means some other website mentions your brand on their website and this is a no-follow link that means the user cannot visit your website through that link. Implied Link happens when that website provides a do-follow link to your website. These two factors improve the brand authority of your website, increases brand awareness, and hence enhances the organic traffic to your website and improve the search rankings.
- Social Shares– Sharing your blog posts and content in your social media accounts enhances the referral traffic to your website which boosts the search rankings.
5. Write high-quality unique content that is more shareable
You must have heard of “Content is King”.
This statement is absolutely correct because a visitor is searching for a query and if you have created great content that satisfies the intent of the user, that content is of high-quality, and if there is very little content available for that query, or if your content focuses on a specific query then your content is of unique quality.
Tips to create great content that is shareable
- Include high-quality images in your content with the alt text for all the images.
- Try to embed some relevant videos in your article for a better understanding of the topic.
- Look for the top ten articles for that topic and create your content better than those articles considering the word count, images, infographics, videos, gifs, featured images, etc.
- Provide internal linking to your other blog posts.
- Add a featured image in your blog post.
6. Directory Submission
Directory Submission is nothing but submission of your website URL to a website directory.
This website directory compiles high PR (Page rank) sites into some categories and sub-categories.
How Directory Submission increase website traffic?
Directory Submission is a very effective way of driving traffic to a website and improving its domain authority.
Directory Submission helps your website in getting good backlinks. It means that it is an Off-Page SEO technique that works well if submitted to high DA and lowest spam score Directory Submission Sites.
With increasing domain authority, Google drives more traffic to your website and hence improves search rankings.
7. Link Building
Link Building is the process of building high-quality backlinks from other high DA sites and when the crawler navigates that high DA site, the crawler uses those links to navigate through your website and index your blog posts and hence your website rankings improve.
How link building increase website traffic?
The quality of links matters over the number of backlinks. Backlinks acquired from a high authoritative site is high-quality backlinks.
Link building is a great SEO strategy and links provide a signal to Google that your website is trustworthy and sites with more backlinks tend to earn higher search rankings and an increase in website traffic.
8. Use Long-Tail Keywords
A long-tail keyword is a keyword with 2-3 words or more.
Most of the pro bloggers use long-tail keywords to rank their blog posts at higher rankings and drive more traffic to their website.
For that, you need to do keyword research.
How long-tail keywords increase website traffic?
Long-tail keywords are more specific and have less search volume and low competition so it ranks easily and drives free organic traffic to your website.
For example, if you search for “Top 10 mobile”, then there is a huge volume of searches and heavy competition on this keyword.
If you search for a long-tail keyword like “Top 10 android mobile under 10000”, then as compared to the former, this long-tail keyword has lesser competition and low volume of searches and it will be easy for a website to rank for a long-tail keyword.
9. Email Marketing
Email Marketing is the best tool to engage your customers by providing them information through email and creating a funnel to generate revenue.
Most of the top bloggers and marketers use email marketing tools and they drive a lot of traffic only from email marketing.
As per research, there are 3 times more email accounts than Facebook and Twitter accounts combined.
How email marketing can increase website traffic?
Email Marketing if used appropriately can increase website traffic. If you are publishing blog posts regularly, then you can use email marketing tools like GetResponse, AWeber, Convertkit, ClickMagick
As you publish your post, share your blog posts via email to your subscribers and you can drive a lot of traffic to your website.
To know everything about email marketing, read this article from one of my friend A Massive Email Marketing Guide for Beginners(Step by Step Guide)
10. Start your YouTube channel
We know that the audience loves video content rather than textual content.
This is because video content is easy to understand and most of the social media platforms belong to the video content so we are used to grabbing information from video format easily.
Starting a YouTube channel is an easy and very effective way of driving traffic to your website.
If you are providing valuable information on your YouTube channel in just 5 minutes video so viewers are likely to visit your website and read your blog posts for more information on that topic or any other relevant topics.
In the description of your YouTube video, you can give a link to your website and ask the viewers to visit your website and comment on which they would like to read and you can publish posts on that topic and you get the repeated customers.
In this way, you can create your own brand on both the platforms by moving the audience from your blog to your YouTube channel and vice versa and in this way, you can drive traffic on both the platforms.
11. Create Facebook Group
Creating a Facebook group can really help your website to grow.
You can start a Facebook group on your website name like Ankit Singla has a website name MasterBlogging and he created a Facebook group name MasterBlogging Facebook Group.
In addition to this, you can join some groups related to your niche, if your niche is digital marketing then you can search for a “digital marketing group” on Facebook, and you will find the following results.
You can join as per your choice and as per their criteria because they can accept or reject your joining request.
After they accept your joining request, you can provide valuable knowledge on digital marketing on any query from the group member and provide your website link with your answer but try to avoid spamming(as per group owner’s conditions) else you get removed from the group.
If all goes well, at some point in time you will realize that you have become successful in driving traffic from your Facebook group, or any other Facebook group to your website.
12. Drive Traffic from Quora
Quora is the best platform to drive a lot of organic traffic to your website.
Personally, it helped me gain a lot of traffic to my website by just answering a few questions.
Let me give you some proof of how a single answer gained 6.2k views and after that most of the groups offered me to join their Quora groups and provide valuable answers to their members.
Creating a Quora account is so easy, just follow these simple steps:
- Signup to Quora through a Google account, Facebook account, or by just entering your email address.
- After you get inside Quora, you have to select at least 10 topics to follow so that Quora can look for your answers related to those topics only. You don’t have to worry because you can change or add some topics later.
- Then you can complete your profile by adding your credentials and add some relevant description about yourself. In this part, you can add your website link at the end so that a visitor can know you better.
- You are required to add your professional photo and complete your employment, education, and location details.
- You can add your social media accounts, look for some important settings, and you are done.
13. Update Your Older Blog Posts
Updating your older blog posts also have a significant effect on driving a lot of traffic to your website.
As the blog posts get older, they got vanished from the top pages of the search engine, hence very less traffic to those old posts and hence less traffic to your website.
So, it is very important for a blogger to update its older blog posts and republishing it with addition to latest updates, new infographics, any new images or videos if could be added, can provide a boost in traffic to the blog post.
Many of the bloggers didn’t know that updating the older blog posts works effectively for increasing website traffic.
You can take help from Google Analytics and find out the blog posts that are outperforming. You can start working on those blog posts and once again those blog posts start driving traffic from the search engine.
You must also check for any broken links generated on old blog posts and work on rectifying the issue.
14. Write Long Articles
Writing a longer article can give your article an edge to rank higher in the SERP.
Writing a detailed article that is unique, SEO-friendly, and high-quality content without losing the quality of the article gets more shares than other articles.
Writing long articles has one more advantage that article can rank for different keywords and the longer the article, the more the keywords it can rank for.
With proper sub-headings and sub-sub-headings, a detailed article can rank higher even without a single backlink.
A higher ranking of articles means an increase in website traffic.
15. Use Infographics
Have you ever thought of creating infographics can really help your website in SEO?
Yes, it’s true!!
Infographics are a great way of creating high-quality backlinks because it is shareable and it attracts the other bloggers to use your infographics in their blog posts and they would love to provide you with a backlink.
Infographics can make your website rank higher on the search results, hence higher website traffic.
Another advantage of using infographics in your blog posts is that it is easy to understand by the readers as compared to the normal plain text.
16. Share your blog posts on LinkedIn and Twitter
Sharing your blog posts or website links on social media can give your website consistent traffic. Sharing your website links on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn groups is a great way to get a lot of traffic, for better conversions and generating leads.
How Twitter can help you drive traffic?
Following are the strategies that you can follow to drive more traffic from Twitter are:
- You can add your website URL in your profile and if anybody’s likes the content you mostly share can visit your website and read all the other important blog posts and your traffic gets easily converted into sales.
- The next thing you can do is to pin some of your best tweets on your home page and regularly updating this pinned tweet with leads that can give you higher conversions.
- If you have a good follower fan base, you need to be consistent in tweeting to keep engaging your audience.
- Find the best time when most of the followers are online and they can grab your tweets instantly. In this way, most of your tweets are consumed by your audience and you can get more shares on Twitter.
- Re-sharing your old tweets is another great way to keep engaging your audience and if some of your followers have missed any of your tweets in the past, they will come across those tweets only when you re-share your old content.
- You can always ask your followers to like, share, and comment on your tweets. This proves how engaging your tweets are for your followers and they would love to do that if they like your content.
- Using relevant hashtags can give a boost to the visibility and engagement of your tweets. Using hashtags on your tweets is a great strategy to gain more followers.
How LinkedIn can help you drive traffic?
As per the 2020 statistics, LinkedIn has nearly 700 million active users.
That’s a huge platform for social media marketers to market their brands, and it is continuously growing and now has become the second most platform for B2B marketers.
Following are the strategies that you can apply for driving traffic from LinkedIn:
- The first one is to make a good profile, including a clear summary of what you do, provide your email to contact you. You can add a link to any of your best posts.
- Search for the groups related to your niche and join them. Sharing your knowledge in those groups can be a great way to build a good network with your customers. The more you are eager to help people, the more page views you get resulting in the higher traffic you get on your website.
- You can start your own group and add more and more followers to that group. Engage them in discussions, join some new members after taking their emails, and then you can easily convert them into sales. the more active your group is, the more will be the traffic on your website.
- You have to republish your old content to save your time and effort in creating new content and republish content can help to reach your new readers.
- You need to be consistent in sharing your content on LinkedIn. it provides more exposure to your content and you will end up having a larger audience for your content.
17. Comment on other Blog Posts
Blog commenting can be spammy if you try to include your website links in the comment section of other blog posts. So you need to avoid that.
But, you can do comment on the top blogger’s blog posts without leaving any of your blog post links for just getting their attention so that in return they can visit your website and also other bloggers who are commenting on their blogs can visit your website and leave comments on your blog post too.
If they like your content, there is a surety that they can subscribe to your newsletter and you can generate traffic on your website, later you can convert them to leads and conversions.
It is a long process, but one thing you have to keep in mind to comment instantly as a new blog post gets published by any of the top bloggers to gain more attention and try to be honest with your comment so that you can start discussing some of the topics related to the blog.
Try to add some value with your comment, you can add some more points that have been missed in the article, or you can suggest your own view on that topic.
18. Invite Guest Bloggers For A Guest Post On Your Site
Writing guest posts for other websites is known to everyone and it is a trend and people have the knowledge of how to do it the right way.
Have you ever thought that you can invite guest bloggers to write posts for your site and it helps in increasing your website traffic?
Yes, it’s true!!
Let me tell you how you can do it.
For this, the step is to find those guest bloggers who do guest posts often.
Let me explain how to find guest bloggers. You can start commenting on other blogs on your niche and start building a community for your blog.
After you found the right bloggers, pitch them for guest posting on your site. If you pitch for 10 bloggers in total, one would be ready for guest posting on your blog, and slowly as your site starts growing, more and more guest post invitations will be accepted.
This will help your website to grow effectively as you will be getting free backlinks for your blog and we all know how backlinks can improve your website’s traffic drastically.
19. Optimize Images on Your Blog
We all use images, GIFs, and videos on our blog for an attractive explanation of content on our blog post.
Do we optimize our images and how image optimization can help in increasing website traffic?
It is very necessary to optimize the images that we use on our blog because all those images that we use are ranked in the Google search engine.
How can we optimize our images?
We have to give a name to our image for what that image is all about. We can use the focus keyword of our blog to name that image that will help that image to rank on Google.
Another strategy is that try to compress that image up to <50kb so that the image is easy to load and your image should not hamper the website loading speed.
20. Interview Other Leaders In Your Industry
An interview can change your life.
Send emails to other leaders of your industry for an interview and when they accept it, fix the timing as per their convenience and prepare some FAQs related to the topics on your niche.
Find questions that can help your viewers providing some value and worth their time watching that interview.
Interviewing other leaders in your industry has several benefits.
- Interviewing other leaders can increase your knowledge on the topic.
- Interviews can help you understand different strategies to make money.
- The interview can help you earn a backlink from the host’s website, or that guest can simply post that interview on their site which increases the visibility of your interview. It helps you to build credibility and boosts your website traffic.
21. Write Content More Often
Some say “Content is the king” and that’s true.
Your content is like a salesman that’s coming forward and pitching your audience to buy a product from your website. If your content is not amazing enough, nobody would like to buy from you.
So, you must create a content strategy and publish content very often and on a timely basis so that your readers would expect an article when you promised to do that. If you post 3 times a week, try hard to maintain that consistency if you want to grow your blog exponentially.
Delivering quality content continuously can help your website to drive more traffic from the search engine.
But, remember not to compromise the quality over quantity. It is important to publish more and more content but that doesn’t mean that you write only 500+ words article. This will lower your search rankings.
If you have created an ecosystem for yourself and you are unable to publish content more often, you can always hire some content writers from the freelance website available on the internet.
Increasing website traffic strategies comes with experience. Making money online works on strategies.
In this article, I have tried to explain to you 21 Ways to increase website traffic and all these strategies are tried and tested methods.
If you want real results, you can start working on some of them and you will experience how amazing these methods are.
If you have enough budget, you can go with paid advertisements for other paid methods to increase website traffic which also works.
Comment me which strategy you found useful and how are you going to apply that?
You can also add in the comment section the strategies you know and if you want to share it with us.
Hi, I’m Rashpreet Singh Bagga, Founder of Online Rupaya. I’m a passionate blogger and an aspiring YouTuber. This blog will help you in earning your first dollar online providing useful information regarding blogging, and SEO.