We already know that a broad niche blogging takes time to earn money.
But there’s another technique in which if you invest the same amount of money, effort and time, you would be more successful in less time. This is when the micro niche website comes into play.
Many newbies don’t know what is a micro niche website and how to create a micro-niche website to make money.
Even you already own a broad niche blog, it would be a great strategy to build a micro niche site as you make a good chunk of money from a micro niche website if done right.
With a micro-niche site, you can start monetizing your blog very quickly and see great results in less time.
In this article, I am going to share with you what is micro niche website and how can you start earning money from a micro-niche site, all the pros and cons of micro-niche websites, and the differences between a broad niche site and a micro niche site.
What is a Micro Niche Website?
A micro niche website focuses only on one topic that’s why it is called “micro”.
All the articles on the micro-niche website will be around that same topic and the website will contain lesser articles than a broad niche website.
In a micro niche website, only targeted traffic is targeted and that traffic can be monetized in several ways.
Difference Between Micro Niche and Broad Niche Websites
A broad niche website focuses on a broad topic that means on a topic that can have various sub-topics.
Let’s take the example of “dog food”. This is a broad topic if we talk about dog food in general.
When the website is about dog food for a particular breed, like “dog food for labrador”, then that will be a micro-niche.
This is the basic difference between a broad niche and a micro-niche.
If you don’t know how to find a micro-niche, you can take help from Google.
From the above example, you can write create a micro niche website on any of the above topics.
A broad niche website gets a huge volume of traffic but only some of them can be actually monetized.
While in a micro niche website, you get the targeted traffic and the users searching for a specific query might get the perfect solution on your website and they become your regular visitors and they can easily be monetized by using various monetization strategies.
With a broad niche website, money-making is tough and it will take more time to get you early bucks because there is huge competition in this kind of website.
While in micro niche websites, you can get more early results and you can your first few dollars if you know the right money-making strategies from a micro niche website.
A broad niche website is not easy to rank. Rather it will take from 1 to 2 years to rank a broad niche website if you apply some great strategies for site ranking in the top pages of Google.
While for micro-niche websites, your site ranking will be faster as compared to a broad niche website because your website focuses only on a single topic, or niche.
We all know that site ranking depends upon various factors like domain authority, link building techniques, and many more but comparing both broad and micro-niche, the latter one is easy to rank than the former.
These are the four major differences between a broad niche and micro-niche websites.
If you are still struggling to find a micro niche for your website, let me help with this simple step that how do you know that your niche is micro-niche or not.
How do I know that my niche is a micro-niche?
There is no thumb rule which can help you find a micro-niche for your website.
With a simple example, you will get to know what is a micro niche website.
Let’s take the example of dog food. A micro-niche can be the sub-sub-sub topic of dog food.
The sub-topic of dog food would be “dog food for a german shepherd”.
The sub-subtopic would be “best dry dog food for a german shepherd”.
Another sub-sub-sub topic would be “best dry dog food for german shepherd puppies”.
In this way, when you narrow down the niches, chances of your website for getting results in the search engine at the higher position would be higher because as you dig down more, you will find the lesser competition and you will find the fewer websites writing on this kind of narrow niches.
So now you know how to narrow down the broad niches and find yourself a micro niche website that can help you earn good chunks of money very soon.
Now let us know how to build a micro-niche website.
How to Build a Micro Niche Website
If you know how to start a website, a micro-niche is no other than a normal website. However, it requires some good strategies like finding a profitable niche, higher search volumes, low competition, and several monetization techniques.
In addition to this, you will require good keyword finding strategies and writing high-quality SEO friendly unique content which is required for every website to rank in the SERP.
Without all these, a micro niche website would become a normal website and you cannot think of making in some months.
If you want to know how to start a successful blog for beginners, you can read my article 6 Easy Step-by-Step Guide on How to Start a Blog and Make Money for Beginners in 2020
Let’s dig down one by one by creating a micro niche website and making money from it.
If you know nothing about how to find a profitable niche, you can read my article How to Choose a Perfect Blogging Niche in 20 mins (with 100+ Niche Ideas)
There are two ways to find a perfect niche for your blog
- The first step, writing down all the niches that interest you so that you continue blogging for a longer time, and
- The second step, write down all the niche that is profitable now and has the scope to be profitable in the future.
But, finding a micro-niche is somewhat than a normal niche.
Here comes the third step which says to filter down the niche that has less competition, higher search volume, and the huge potential of monetization.
Let me help you with finding a micro-niche.
Following are the ways you can find a micro-niche for your website
Google Auto Suggest
You can take help from Google auto-suggest.
In this way, you can find various unique micro-niche ideas for your website.
Another great way to find micro niches is to take help from Amazon categories
All the categories in the Amazon Full store directory are valid micro-niches, or else you can dig down more into the categories.
Choose that topic which has a higher potential of monetization in future prospects like you can write about DSLR cameras, bonsai plants, refrigerators, air conditioning, etc. These all will be used for many years in the future.
After you have selected your niche based on interest, profitability, and future scope.
Now let us know how can you buy a domain and hosting for your website.
Buy Domain and Hosting
For any website, you will need a domain name for the site address and hosting where your website will be hosted by the hosting provider.
I will not recommend you to go for free domain and hosting if you are serious to make money online because paid hosting will give you enough facilities for SEO optimized themes, plugins and much more which will make your blogging journey easy and you will find more ways to earn money from paid hosting rather than free hosting.
Select your domain name which matches your niche.
If you have selected “DSLR camera” as your niche, then you create domain names like
- www.pixelzone.com, or
- www.photomania.com, etc.
Else you can use your name to create a domain name.
A domain name of .com , .net and .in(for India) is preferred by Google.
Make your domain name short and easy to remember.
Don’t use hyphens or underscore in your domain name, else it will be difficult for users to remember.
You can buy a domain name from GoDaddy, BigRock, Namecheap, and many other websites.
You can buy hosting from SiteGround, Hostinger, Hostgator, Bluehost, and many other websites.
You must select a good hosting provider. Below are the special features of a good hosting provider you must keep in mind before buying one
- 24*7 customer support
- Also, contain a free SSL certificate
- Unlimited storage
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 99.9% uptime, and much more
You will not get all the above qualities in one hosting provider, but you have to optimize what are all the features you want in a hosting and try to get maximum features as possible to continue the same hosting in the long run.
If you want to know the full process of buying a domain and hosting, you can read this article
Once you buy domain and hosting, install WordPress in your PC and do all the necessary settings.
If you don’t know the difference between WordPress and Blogger
WordPress is a free tool for Content Management System(CMS).
WordPress has various advantages:
- Easy to use
- You have full control over your site
- Easily customizable
- Attractive design
- Responsive, and much more
You can take help from Google Trends to find the growth potential of various micro niches
Let me help you with a screenshot of Google Trends on two micro niches: “Nikon DSLR” and “Canon DSLR”
You can see from the above image, trends of both the niches.
You can choose the country-wise, time zone, categories, and much more.
You can compare two or more micro niches and find the true potential of niches.
For proper keyword research, you need some very good strategies which I am going to share with you now.
A well-known strategy used by pro bloggers is to target long-tail keywords.
If you want to know the difference between short-tail, medium-tail, and long-tail keywords.
Read this guide What is SEO and How It Works?- An Actionable Guide
Long-tail keywords work magic for newbie bloggers.
Following are the several advantages of long-tail keywords
- High conversion rates
- Less competition
- You will get targeted traffic
- Works well even for highly competitive niches, and much more
Let me show you with an example
If you select a niche “diabetes”
You can see from the above example of short-tail keyword “diabetes”.
It has more than 6 billion searches
If we narrow down this niche to micro-niche like “diabetes mellitus type 2 diet food”
You can see using a long-tail keyword makes the searches less than 10% of short-tail keywords.
So you can easily target long-tail keywords based on your niches and see good and early results.
The point is millions of traffic in short-tail keywords will not give you the amount of money that you can create from thousands of traffic from long-tail keywords because short-tail keywords are mostly targeted by the authority sites that have a higher domain authority and competing with those sites will not give you early results in terms of money.
So the perfect strategy you need is to target long-tail keywords that will give you early results, more targeted traffic having a higher conversion rate, and better chances of your website ranking higher in the SERP.
Exact Match Domain is a micro-niche strategy?
In most of the cases, some site owners use exact match domain as a micro-niche strategy.
What exactly is the Exact Match Domain(EMD)?
Exact Match Domain or EMD is that domain name when you have the keyword in your domain name.
These are all exact match domains.
With the use of EMD, the site gets the SEO advantage even with the low-quality content because the primary keyword is in the URL of their website and they used to drive huge traffic to their site.
After the new update of the Google algorithm, all the low-quality content EMDs are being penalized.
Most of the top 10 ranking sites have lost their higher rankings due to low-quality content.
It is not recommended to use EMD, rather you can use partial match domains like the mobile guy, laptop techie, etc.
High authority websites with high-quality content need time, patience, and a lot of dedication but it is worth it when you are preferred by the search engine to rank higher.
Pros and Cons of Micro Niche Website
- Any micro niche site is easy to create and when you get targeted traffic to your website, you can start earning money in a few months.
- Any website if fails to start making money can be sold for a good amount of money. The same applies to micro-niche site, you can sell and earn money.
- When one of your websites is successful in generating income, you get the idea about how micro niche sites make money and you can start some more micro niche websites. Also, you can experiment and re-model your existing micro niche site to make it as a revenue-generating site.
- It works in autopilot mode after you post some 10-15 articles and create 5-6 pages on your website. You don’t have to post articles on a daily basis or work 24*7 on your website for SEO and site ranking. Micro-niche sites require less work and easy to set up to start making money.
- There is low competition in micro-niche sites and higher search volume if your niche is good enough.
- You can earn a good amount of money from micro niche sites in less time which is not possible in authority sites.
- Micro niche sites give you more exposure on a specific topic because you write about the same niche again and again and you become an expert on that particular niche.
- With time and positive efforts, you can build the authority in your micro-niche site and outrank some of the authority sites if your content is better than those authority sites.
- You can easily build your loyal audience by creating high-quality content and solving user’s queries. Your website must be focussed on user intent.
- You can sell your own products on your micro-niche site and generate a good amount of revenue.
- The major disadvantage of having a micro niche site is that your site is in danger to get penalized because Google doesn’t give preference to micro niche sites. With more updates on Google algorithm, your site ranking might affect and so your earnings might also get affected.
- Most of the bloggers create micro niche sites for profitability, so these sites are very uncertain to continue giving profit for a long time as Google algorithm updates may penalize these sites if your focus is only for making money. Instead, you must focus on creating high-quality, unique, and SEO friendly content.
- You get less amount of traffic so your focus must be on how to convert all those traffic to generate revenue. Your sales funnel must be strong and your content must be good.
- Your micro niche site is based on a specific niche so it might be difficult for you to find content writers. You might know everything about the topic but it is not necessary that you can easily find a writer to create your articles.
As people are believing in the fact that micro niche sites are profitable in a short period of time and they don’t have to wait for so long to rank their site in the SERP.
But the fact is micro niche sites can only be a good choice for you if your focus is only to make money.
In my suggestion, you must give it a try and build a micro niche site and you will gain a lot of experience which is worth more than money.
Once your site become successful, you can create some micro niche sites on different niches and generate a good chunk of money.
Al the important topics in this guide will help you to understand better about what is a micro niche website and how to build a micro niche website.
If you have any queries related to this article, feel free to comment below.
Hi, I’m Rashpreet Singh Bagga, Founder of Online Rupaya. I’m a passionate blogger and an aspiring YouTuber. This blog will help you in earning your first dollar online providing useful information regarding blogging, and SEO.